Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Salem (2014-?) Season one, episode one.

I am watching this new series using my Amazon (instant video) account. It's currently free to subscribe to and watch if you hurry. (as of today, April 22, 2014) I decided to watch it because, well, it's about Salem during the witch trials. I was hoping for something good, respectable... a television show I would enjoy and not be offended by.

They took tales from the "witnesses" then bent and twisted them out of control. I am offended watching this from the witch's point of view.

If I keep my mind on the "entertainment" prospective, it isn't a bad show. I am captivated, although it is very gruesome and violent. I can connect with bits of it here and there, where other parts are just insanely... wrong... just simply wrong.

I have to wonder if the creators of this series wanted to use this as an opportunity to generate chaos in the Wiccan community. I wonder if they wanted to insert fear back into the people who do not know what we do, or what is possible. I won't tell you to watch it, or avoid watching this program. I'll fallow it through, but as I watch each episode, I will probably continue to be upset, sickened, and offended. I don't want to improve their ratings, but with a free season pass, I may as well see if the creators are capable of making it into something... better??? respectable??? more accurate?!?

I know the last isn't possible from the first episode. I don't even have hope that it will become admirable in any way.

I started watching "American Horror Story: The Coven" last fall thinking it was probably a waste of my time, but a friend of mine said "give it a chance." Then I came to enjoy it. Yes, parts of the series were blown out of proportion, misrepresented... But the story line was good enough, I honestly enjoyed the season.

It's like watching a program thinking when you turn it on, that the creators took historical events and turned it into a television series. Then you turn it on, and it's like they took the historical "events" and made the series more of a "What if all this was TRUE!?!" type of thing.

I went to Salem, Massachusetts about 7 or 8 years ago, it was summertime. I'm leaning more to the almost 7 years ago side. There is a building where you go in, sit and watch a "play" or "reenactment" type of movie with sculptures and lights, music, and a story playing.  I think the people who wrote the series "Salem" went into that same place. (which I cannot remember the name of right this minute. I'll grab the info and put it on my blog entry towards the end for you) Then they used that for the core of their series. The witch who started everything with her herbal remedies, the girls who acted out because of the spells cast upon them... The man who was crushed to death because he wouldn't say whatever it is they wanted him to say... Salem Wax Museum

I see it as, this is "the other side of the story" story... the "What if this was all real" side... Sure it's totally blown out of reality, but that's what television is for. If they didn't offend people, they wouldn't know that it was being watched. Sure, we as a community can throw a huge fit, bring a bunch of attention to the series, but that won't help the situation.

The more people who watch, talk about, and spread the word, the bigger the show will become.

I just wanted to put my opinion out there, hopefully see if anyone agrees with me.

My cable company doesn't carry "WGN America" (the television network that shows the series) that's why I chose to get it through Amazon. I figure since it's free, I can go ahead and give the season a try, find out where it brings me, and see how poorly the writers do in the process.

Everything is about creating talk... I guess that's the purpose here... Now... Since I don't carry that network, I need to ask... is it a Christian based network? Are they working on brainwashing people?

Well, Since the first episode is in my past, I should probably move forward with the rest of my day. Don't waste your time watching it if you're easily offended. This series really will do that. Also, avoid it if you don't want to watch some nasty special effects. They're so ick that they seem pretty realistic. Though, it's obviously just the magic of television put to work.

I hope you have a beautiful day, and get to enjoy some light breezes, sunshine, and tons of outdoor activities in the near future.


Love and Light
Merry we meet, merry we part, merry we meet again.

Blessed Be
☽✪☾