Friday, August 16, 2013

Handfasting

In Wicca, handfasting" is a term used for a wedding ceremony. The marriage vows taken may be for "a year and a day," "a lifetime", "for all of eternity" or "for as long as love shall last." As with many Neopagan rituals, some groups may use historically attested forms of the ceremony, striving to be as traditional as possible, while others may use only the basic idea of handfasting and largely create a new ceremony. In some traditions, the couple may jump over a broom at the end of the ceremony. Some may instead leap over a small fire together.

The couple must first chose a ribbon or cord in which to use, this ritual calls for simple cord, tied in a bow with an opening loose enough so that the hands can come out freely, or simply draped across the hands. The couple saves the ribbon or cloth as a keepsake. Here are some words that can be said with handfasting:
"(Bride and Groom), as yourhands are bound together now, so your lives and spirits are joined in a union of love and trust. Above you are the stars and below you is the earth.
Like the stars your love should be a constant source of light, and like the earth, a firm foundation from which to grow."
Have them exchange their own writt
en vows or perhaps the traditional rings. Afterwards the celebration can continue however planned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took this from a timeline on Facebook "Pagan Parents" <a href="https://www.facebook.com/wiccanparents ">https://www.facebook.com/wiccanparents</a>

I saw it and decided I need to share it in my blog, with my opinion.

I was married when I was 17 and pregnant. I married a man who later began to abuse me in every possible way. We were together for the grand total of about 3 years, and it ended in an ugly divorce and me with two beautiful children and a broken spirit.

Now, I look at marriage and I feel like it may end up on the road to a similar fate. Me sad and alone, broken with children who have no father. Although in reality, it's a fear I know is irrational when it comes to my guy.

Eventually we would like to get married, when the kids are grown a bit more, and we can afford the "party." For now, it is more like a piece of paper than anything else. But, when I herd about handfasting, Marriage started sounding beautiful again. Not only would we be bound by paper, legally, but if we incorporate this ceremony into our wedding, it'll be more than a piece of paper and words in front of a large group of friends and family.  It'll be us saying we choose to be together because we want to be together. This is something that If I can show my guy why this should be included, I will feel better.

My "Dream Wedding" is something mostly simple. Out on a field at the top of a hill or mountain, looking out onto a beautiful landscape. I would prefer to get married during an eclipse instead of dawn or dusk. I want to "pose" my wedding photos so that it looks even better. The sun and moon kissing as we're holding hands, tied from handfasting. And hopefully kissing under the eclipse.

Sure, it sounds nutty to anyone who doesn't understand me or my beliefs, but that's what I want. Even if we only had 20 people at our wedding. That's what I'd want.

I found a beautiful location here, so it isn't too far even for the farthest of friends and family we'd include. It has many places where you can stand and be photographed over the landscape during the rising/setting sun and even the eclipse.  They have a pavilion we can have tables set up inside. People can stand or carry chairs out to watch the small ceremony, then go back "inside" to eat and enjoy a BBQ type lunch/dinner.

Even if we had 50 people, I think we would have a grand time. It would be fun for all ages and it wouldn't be one of those LONG "never ending" boring ceremonies everyone tends to have. I don't need bridesmaids and ushers, a flower girl... No parade for my wedding. Just the two of us in front of our loved ones, tying our lives together.  Small and Beautiful.

Merry we meet, merry we part, merry we meet again.

Blessed Be
☽✪☾